Friday, December 17, 2010

A SON’S LOVE FOR HIS DOG AND FATHER’S LOVE FOR HIS SON

In the midst of holiday cheer and festivities, there is some sadness for my son and those who care about him.  A sophomore at Messiah College, he returned home on Tuesday for winter break to be greeted by his mother with the news that his beloved Belgium Sheepdog, Buddy, had died the week before.  We collectively decided not to burden him with this news during finals week, for which he has expressed his gratitude.

Seth is a Chemistry major, and not prone to expressing himself through poetry.  When I saw what he posted on Facebook Tuesday night, I was touched by his expression of love and devotion for Buddy.  If you have ever loved a pet, you will understand his words.

                                    The tears have blurred my vision
                                    But I’d know him anywhere
                                    He sits and waits so patiently
                                    He knows I’ll soon be there.

                                    I drop to my knees and call his name
                                    He responds with bounding glee
                                    He whines and cries
                                    The joy is in his eyes.

                                    I know it’s truly Heaven
                                    For that is plain to see
                                    My faithful friend and companion
                                    Is once again with me.

                                    To the best pet I have ever had.  Rest in peace, Buddy.

We would all like to shelter our children from such pain, but alas, we cannot.  With great love comes, ultimately, great pain.  The riches that come with that love are well worth the price we pay in separation and grief.  To the best son I could ever hope for, I love you Seth.  And that’s Dad’s take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment