Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving musings…

Thanksgiving is not quite over, but there are thousands already shopping in the pre-Black Friday hours.  It is my hope that the day that preceded Black Friday was a happy and blessed one for you.  For the first 50 years of my life, Thanksgiving meant gathering with my family and relatives at Uncle Albert and Aunt Myrtle’s house in Leesport, PA.  This was for me, the tradition I enjoyed above all others.  It became the Thanksgiving tradition for my children as well.  Life is, of course, finite, and traditions are subject to the frailties of the humans who live them.  Sadly, my Uncle Albert died on New Year’s Eve a few years ago.  My sister and brother-in-law now host smaller Thanksgiving gatherings at their home in Cape May Court House, NJ.  A new tradition is underway.

As the grandchildren gathered around my father for the annual Thanksgiving picture, I was thankful for my father being able to be there, knowing that there are no guaranties as to how many more of those pictures with Grandpop will be possible.  My family’s traditions, of necessity, will continue to evolve, as will yours.  Knowing that, we are well-advised to be fully present during Thanksgiving and other family events taking complete advantage of the time we have together.  Of course, we need to be open to changes in traditions that will inevitably come.  Wishing you the blessings of familiar family traditions, as well as new customs yet to be experienced.  Happy Thanksgiving…     

No comments:

Post a Comment